To Determining the handing of a sliding door is an important step in the installation process, as it ensures that the door will open and close correctly.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to determine the handing of a sliding door
1. What is Door Handing?
Door handing is a term used to describe the direction a door swings or slides when opened. It’s an essential factor to consider when purchasing or installing a door. The term ‘X’ denotes the moving or operable part of the door, while ‘O’ signifies the fixed or stationary part.
Note: Door handing is always determined looking at a doorway from the outside of the home.
If you’re dealing with an interior door, you should determine the handing from outside the room, looking into the door through the doorway.
2. Importance of Door Handing
Understanding door handing is crucial when installing or replacing doors. It helps you choose the right door hardware, ensures smooth operation, and contributes to the overall aesthetics of your space.
3. How to Determine Door Handing for Sliding Doors
General Step By Step:
- Stand on the outside of the door and look at the hinges. If the hinges are on the left side of the door, the door is a left-hand sliding door. If the hinges are on the right side, the door is a right-hand sliding door.
- If the door has a lock, determine which side the lock is on. If the lock is on the left side of the door, the door is a left-hand sliding door. If the lock is on the right side, the door is a right-hand sliding door.
- If the door does not have hinges or a lock, determine which side the door handle is on. If the handle is on the left side of the door, the door is a left-hand sliding door. If the handle is on the right side, the door is a right-hand sliding door.
- If the door has a latch or lock on the top and bottom of the door, it is a center-hung sliding door.
Sliding doors, also known as patio doors, can have two, three, or four panels. The handing for each type varies.
3.1 Two Panel Sliding Doors (XO/OX)
When viewing the doorway from the exterior of your home, if you desire the sliding panel to be on your left, you need an XO door. If the operable panel should be on the right, you should choose an OX door.
3.2 Three Panel Sliding Doors (XOO/OXO/OOX)
With three panel sliding doors, you can choose the position of the operable panel. It can be on the left (XOO), in the middle (OXO), or on the right (OOX).
3.3 Four Panel Sliding Doors (OXXO)
Four panel sliding doors generally have a set handing where the center doors are active, and the outside panels are fixed. However, configurations can vary based on the manufacturer.
What is the most common sliding door handing?
The most common type of sliding door is the hinged door. This type of door is usually made out of a single piece of wood that has been cut into two pieces. One side has a handle, and the other side has a lock. The hinges are usually on one end, and the lock is on the other end.
It is important to note that the handing of a sliding door can also be referred to as the “handing” or “swing” of the door. It is important to accurately determine the handing of a sliding door before installing it, as an improperly installed door may not open or close properly.
Another great resource is the guide of Andersenwindows.